Prospective Transitional Pastors

If you are interested in transitional ministry in the Canadian Pacific District of the Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada, here are a few things you need to know.

First, to serve in any Alliance Church in a pastoral capacity requires licensing through our District Office. 

This requires completing a licensing application (Find a link to the Licensing Policy Here), the ability to affirm the Alliance Statement of Faith, A Call to Excellence and Policy on Process for Mediation Arbitration. There is also a licensing interview.

Secondly, after getting familiar with the above, it’s generally advised not to pursue licensing until it looks like you are a good fit for a potential role in one of our churches. This is to save both you and our District team from spending a significant amount of time on a process that ultimately leads nowhere.

You are, in that waiting/preparatory phase, welcome to participate in our Network gatherings.

Thirdly, if you are seriously considering transitional ministry, take the training available through We provide additional training and support through this website and our network, but the Outreach Canada training will give you some solid foundational equipping.

Finally, we do not see Transitional Ministry as a filler between regular long term pastoral roles. We are looking for pastors who have a passion for transitional work and are prepared to jump in for the long haul. While you may not know if you are all-in before your first transitional role, you should at least be open to the possibility and be leaning into this kind of ministry for the foreseeable future.

For more information, please contact the District Office or use the Contact page on this site.

Be sure to read this post in which transitional pastors share their answers to a prospective transitional pastor’s question “What do I need to know about transitional ministry?